WHAT to do until help arrives?
A fire can leave behind soot, smoke damage and a host of other problems.
Ceilings, walls, woodwork, carpeting, and floors. Most all of the homes contents will often need a thorough professional cleaning.
If your home or business suffers a fire, it is important to take the appropriate steps to prevent further damage until SERVPRO of Plano arrives.
The following tips may help reduce damage and increase chances of a successful restoration.
WHAT TO DO
* Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
* Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.* Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
* If electricity is off, empty freezer/refrigerator completely and propdoors open to help prevent odor.
* Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
* If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls,holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
* Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
WHAT NOT TO DO
* Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of PlanoThe Professionals.
*Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Plano.
*Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets,radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
* Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water, as they may be contaminated.
*If ceiling is wet, do not turn on ceiling fans. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock,and air movement may create secondary damage.* Don’t send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may setin smoke odor.
Contact SERVPRO of Plano today for an estimate at:972-403-9004